07 March 2014

session 1 - finding lilli pilli


Not long ago in Denham, Western Australia, kind strangers taught us how to squid. They gave us the basics, taught us to clean them and sent us away keen to take up the sport. Thrilled at the prospect of catching my own dinner; I invested in a rod, reel, jig and NSW fishing permit. My rod isn't fancy. I bought a junior model at our local BCF. It's orange. Craig sensibly steered me towards the bargain bucket of squid jigs.

Armed with knowledge found online, we headed out to Lilli Pilli reserve. Failing to find the wharf, we decided to cast our lot on rocks at the water's edge. I think I surprised Craig with my casting skills. We weren't expecting any squid to bite at that time of day, but we reasoned that it would be good practice. I cast twice more.  The line tautened. There was a surge of excitement.  I started to reel in my catch.

Disappointment came just as quickly when I realized the jig had ensnared itself on the rocky sea floor. The swift current only drove it in further.  The line snapped. The jig was gone.

In just five minutes, our session was over.


Jigs: Rogue Calamar Pink 2.5
Location: Lilli Pilli Baths Reserve
Highlights: Casting out for the first time
Session Squid Count: 0
Squid Count to Date: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment